Saturday, November 30, 2013

Peanut Tamarind Curry / Verkadalai Vathakuzhambu


Is there someone who doesn't love peanut? From tasting it raw till store-bought Honey Peanuts, it taste delicious. And its a good snack too,unless we eat it as snacks...Peanuts are widely used in Rice, Chutneys or mixed in some gravies like Mirchi Ka Salan. Why not use it in Kuzhambu/Tamarind based Curry. I was introduced to this Verkadalai Vathakuzhambu in my husband's family and everytime see my family loving it as if they were having it for the first time after long time. Though it i prepared every once a week, this flavour got stuck in my tongue and I made one this weekend. Normally, if I make this on weekday, it stays in my fridge for 2-3 days, but I don't guarantee this when it is made on weekend.

Whenever this curry is made, Dal based vegetable will be a good match for this along with plain rice. But I am making simple beans curry with coconut. My husband's favourite one and li'l ones too... Since I had already posted Channa Tamarind Curry/Channa Vathakuzhambu in this blog, I am going to do everything on that recipe(if you come across,otherwise you can refer here) but subsititute Channa with Peanut.Also, unlike other Tamarind based curries, this one will take more oil but to mention its Gingelly oil or otherwise called NALLA ENNAI in Tamizh which means good oil.The more oil , more it tastes better.I would recommend making it with only GIngelly oil.

Ingredients:

Big lemon-sized tamarind(puli)
1 spn Mustard seeds
1 spn Channa dal
1 spn Urad dal
1 spn Toor Dal
1 cup of Peanut , soaked in water overnight and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles
4-5 Methi seeds
4-5 Red Chillies
2 heep spn Sambar powder
6-7 Curry Leaves
5 Spoon Gingely Oil



Method:

1) Take a kadai, Pour Gingely oil
2) Add Mustard Seeds , Channa Dal, Urad Dal ,Toor Dal, Methi Seeds, Red Chillies
3)Then add Cooked Peanut and the Sambar powder. Fry for 2 minutes.
4 Add the Pulp of Tamarind Juice. Also, make the pulp thick so that you get semi consistency at the end.
5) Add the Salt, Hing which I forgot to mention in the Ingredients.

Wait for 5-8 minutes till it boils, then simmer to Medium- High and let it cook for 10-15 minute till you get thick consistency.
Enjoy with Rice and nice south indian side dish.
Will post the pictures tomorrow.

No comments: