Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Zucchini Sambar/ Zucchini ToorDal

Of late I started going to gym to burn lot of calories and walking more steps,rather than concentration on losing weight. I am in search of eating healthy meals since I am at home. Buying Vegetables during weekend is lot more fun,because I love to experiment with new vegetables. Eventhough I know Zucchini is now a part of Indian Vegetable, this is the first time I got one...Yeah, Just one.

Before trying it as a just plain curry ,just thought about it mixing with Toor Dal r Moong Dal, and I came up with Sambar.Ofcourse, I googled it and saw Zucchini Sambar on their list. So had an idea to continue it further. Along with this I made Brocolli Curry with Small Onions.

Before I start out with the recipe, I should say it tasted yummy and was same like Radish without the Radish-smell.

I am sending this Entree: Veggie/Fruit- VFAM – Zucchini : Event - Zucchini hosted by CooksJOy



Ingredients:
Toor Dal - 1 cup cooked and mashed lightly
Tamarind- size of a small lemon(india size not the american one)
Vegetables :-
Zucchini- 1 cut in to small cubes
Onion- 1 chopped
Tomato - 1
Green Chillies - 1 slit lengthwise
Sambar powder - 1.5 tsp

Tempering:
Mustard- 1 tsp
Ural Dal - 1/2 tsp
Long Red Chillies/Milagavathal - 1
Curry leaves - a few
Hing/Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Oil and salt
Coriander LEaves for Garnishing

Method:

1)Keep cooked Dal ready
2) In a Pan with oil, Add Mustard and wait till splutter. Add Urad Dal and Long Red Chillies and Curry Leaves, Asafoetida
3)Add Onions ,Zucchini. Fry for 5 Minutes and add Tomato,green chilli.
4)Add Pulp of Tamarind ,Sambar Powder,salt .Let it boil for about 10-15 minutes on medium-high
5)Once you know the consistency, add toor dal ,Coriander Leaves and little pinch of Coriander Powder at last.Coriander powder is just a option but I bet it taste different and yummy.

2 comments:

Vardhini said...

Interesting and tasty sambar. Thx for linking.

Vardhini
Event: Only Vegan
Event: Zucchini

TestingSalesforce said...

Thank u vardhini